it’s been a wild 24 hours but despite all the craziness of the last day, i have learned one key thing: thank goodness for americans.
here’s the rundown:
1. i got invited to a dinner with usa embassy workers here in kolkata: win.
2. i bravely planned to take the metro to dinner: win.
3. taxi driver didn’t know (or understand) the metro stop location, i yell, he drops me off on side of road at rush hour: lose.
4. new taxi driver thinks it would be fun to screw the white girl out of money, takes convoluted route to metro stop: lose.
5. metro is awesome, i find ticket, train and stop easy peasy lemon squeasy: win.
6. i find restaurant (italian place predictably filled with westerners.) as soon as i leave metro station, despite rush hour traffic and near-death road crossing escapade: win.
7. embassy workers are nice, inviting, unpretentious and incredibly welcoming: win.
8. trouble finding cab upon leaving restaurant, and when cab eventually located, driver drops me off in confusing spot in the market: lose.
9. panic, get lost and cry: lose.
10. get found, thank jesus and decide to keep crying: win.
11. get home, find out sienna’s born, cry again: win.
12. get no sleep because of #11’s excitement factor: lose.
13. try to find western union in morning, head to 2 banks, fill out 5 forms, get told after 2 hours you can’t send money from kolkata using western union: lose.
14. get home from work and find cable is out because of giant storm that prompted colleague to exclaim “i think we will have a twister-thing!”, fear for life: lose.
15. get an email from 2 new american embassy worker friends inviting me to birthday party next week that involves “libations, snacks, red velvet cupcakes with frosting and dancing at a club”, realize those are all my favorite things: win.
16. write this list, conclude win/lose ratio is preeeetty much even and decide to eat sour cream and onion chips: you decide.