wise and wonderful followers, i am working on several stunning posts based on your fantastic feedback and inquisitive lines of questioning – but for now – please accept the following.
when i left canada, i was really um…unprepared…for what was to come here in tropical india. i know – you’re quietly giggling to yourself thinking “al, you? unprepared? this is no surprise.” – but let me finish will ya?
this time the unpreparedness was intentional. i figured that i’d try to just go with the flow as much as possible – bring only the things i knew i couldn’t live without (neutrogena face cream, vitamins, allergy medication) and just let the rest figure itself out. or not.
so it seems to be going ok. i mean do i wish i had brought a satchel bag deal instead of a pair of 4-inch heels – yes. but sometimes you simply can’t employ logic when shoes are involved.
here is a list of the unexpected and unplanned things which are truly getting me by here in india:
- marvin gaye, bach and fats waller: stolen from my darling uncle’s music collection, these greats are helping me fall asleep on the nights when i know jc is stalking my brains.
- undershirts: they help me keep to the conservative code if a shirt is just slightly too low cut, while also curbing the charming waterfalls of sweat.
- face astringent: it is so dirty here – and not dirty with 2 t’s. filthy, mucky, dusty. evil dirt particles end up almost everywhere so a quick method for dirt removal is key.
- 100% apple juice: i am not a juice drinker but with ridiculous level of dehydration here apple juice is ensuring i don’t pass out. man i’d be an ugly fainter.
- old navy flip flops: i wear mine everywhere – including the shower and the house – to avoid stepping on any rogue cockroaches or jc/jc’s evil compatriots.
so my conclusion is that preparedness ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.
and don’t worry, in the interest of sample size and your continued amusement, i will test this theory out further. i am about to release my first indian travel destination to you, so we’ll see if a similar approach has me coming out on top. or not.
and now i’m off to the store for some more apple juice…